Table of Contents
How to make an Espresso Martini Cocktail
If you’re a coffee and cocktail lover, the Espresso Martini is the perfect drink for you. This classic cocktail combines the richness of espresso with the smoothness of vodka, creating a bold and flavorful drink that will leave you feeling energized and satisfied. In this article, we’ll explore the history of the Espresso Martini, share the best ingredients to use, and answer the question of which glass to serve it in.
History of the Espresso Martini
The Espresso Martini is a relatively modern cocktail, having been created in the late 1980s by a London bartender named Dick Bradsell. According to Bradsell, the story goes that a model approached him and asked for a drink that would “wake me up, then f**k me up.” Bradsell combined vodka, coffee liqueur, and fresh espresso, and the Espresso Martini was born.
Since then, the Espresso Martini has become a beloved cocktail all over the world, with many variations and adaptations. Some people even credit it with starting the trend of coffee cocktails.
Best Ingredients for an Espresso Martini
The key to a good Espresso Martini is using high-quality ingredients. Here are the best ingredients to use:
- Vodka: A smooth, high-quality vodka is essential for a good Espresso Martini. Avoid flavored vodkas, as they can overpower the coffee flavor.
- Coffee Liqueur: Kahlúa is the most popular coffee liqueur for an Espresso Martini, but any good-quality coffee liqueur will work.
- Espresso: Freshly brewed espresso is crucial for the best flavor. If you don’t have an espresso machine, you can use strong coffee instead.
How to Make a Perfect Espresso Martini Every Time
The Espresso Martini is a classic cocktail that has become a favorite of coffee and cocktail lovers all around the world. However, making the perfect Espresso Martini can be a challenge, especially if you’re new to mixology. In this article, we’ll share tips and tricks to help you make the perfect Espresso Martini every time.
- Start with High-Quality Ingredients
The key to a great Espresso Martini is using high-quality ingredients, including fresh espresso, vodka, and coffee liqueur. Avoid using flavored vodkas, as they can overpower the coffee flavor.
- Brew Fresh Espresso
Freshly brewed espresso is crucial for the best flavor. If you don’t have an espresso machine, you can use strong coffee instead. Just make sure to use a dark roast coffee and brew it extra strong.
- Use the Right Ratio of Ingredients
The traditional ratio for an Espresso Martini is 2 parts vodka, 1 part coffee liqueur, and 1 part espresso. However, you can adjust the ratio to suit your taste preferences. If you prefer a stronger coffee flavor, add more espresso. If you prefer
- Use your own Simple Syrup
Why not try making your own simple syrup? It only has 2 ingredients and will keep in the fridge for upto a month.
What Glass to Serve an Espresso Martini In?
The traditional glass for an Espresso Martini is a martini glass. This glass has a distinctive cone shape, which helps to showcase the layers of the cocktail. However, you can also use a coupe glass, which is similar in shape but has a wider bowl. The key is to choose a glass that will show off the rich, dark color of the Espresso Martini.
- Start by brewing a fresh shot of espresso using an espresso machine or a Moka pot. If you don’t have an espresso machine, you can also use strong brewed coffee or instant espresso.
- Add ice to a cocktail shaker and pour in the vodka, coffee liqueur, fresh espresso, and simple syrup.
- Shake the cocktail shaker vigorously for about 10-15 seconds, until the liquid is well chilled.
- Strain the cocktail into a chilled martini glass.
- If desired, garnish the cocktail with a few coffee beans on top.
- And that’s it! Your delicious Espresso Martini is now ready to be enjoyed.
Buy the equipment
Here are our top picks from Amazon of cocktail making equipment to make a Perfect Espresso Martini.